with Dana and Greg
Okay everyone here it is…Cooking with Dana and Greg — mostly Dana this week. I thought about all the awesome recipes Greg and I have made over the years, but most of them involve meat! Since every other Tuesday is a non-meat recipe ( Karma’s wishes) I came up with something that has been in my family for years. It is simple yet nutritious and delicious. I hope this is new to some of you.
Avocado Toast (a.k.a. the Breakfast of Champions in our family)
1 Ripe avocado
Wheat bread or whatever bread you love ( we love the Costco 8 grain bread, it’s a few more calories, but filling and full of fiber and protein)
Salt and pepper
Toast your bread, mash avocado on the bread, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, and voila you are done. Karma thinks this is best served with a low-fat latte made by me 🙂
Some people (Mom & Karma) try to put butter on the toast first and then the avocado, but the avocado is used in place of the butter and it is much healthier to leave the butter out.
Here are some fun facts about avocados (taken from Eat This):
- Avocados are a fruit, not a vegetable.
- There are more than 500 varieties of avocados.
- Avocados are native to Central and South America; the name is derived from the Aztec word “ahuacatl”. Spanish explorers could not pronounce ahuacatl, so they called the avocado aguacate. This is the origin of the word guacamole.
- The avocado is sometimes called the “Alligator Pear” because of its pear shape and alligator like skin.
- There is more potassium in an avocado than a banana (potassium is a mineral that helps regular blood pressure).
- The average avocado contains 300 calories and 30 grams of healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat.
- Avocados have the highest protein content of any fruit.
- One cup of avocado has 23% of the Daily Value for folate, a nutrient important for heart health.
- Avocados contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol.
P.S. 2-3 thin slices of avocado or ~2 tbsp. = 50 calories.
Here is a fun comparison between avocado, butter, and cheddar cheese: